The transport and logistics sectors have embraced telematics and related intelligent technologies to drive efficiency, productivity and safety outcomes.
Through the National Telematics Framework, TCA is able to support the transport and logistics sector to adopt a sustainable approach to telematics and related technologies by providing:
Advice on telematics hardware and services, including the Entry Options initiative
Accreditation through type-approval of hardware and the certification of services, in addition to the management of pilots and trials of technology
Administration of certified telematics programs for Australian governments:
- Intelligent Access Program (IAP)
- Intelligent Speed Compliance (ISC)
- On-Board Mass (OBM) systems linked to the IAP
- Electronic Work Diary (EWD) (currently being implemented).
TCA’s administration function for heavy vehicles will also include the Electronic Work Diaries (EWDs) reform, which will involve:
- The Administration of the EWD system
- Certification of EWD Service Providers.
There are over 30,000 heavy vehicles already fitted with Telematics IVUs capable of satisfying TCA’s Telematics IVU requirements (and/or only require minor changes to do so), and which are able to operate certified telematics programs.